The City of Brighton & Hove has some of the most beautiful burial grounds in the country and the Hove Cemetery is one of them. Opened in 1882, it spans 50 acres of fresh green lawn with plots available for the burial of both traditional and cremated remains. One can choose to visit the wood plaques of loved ones or simply go there for personal reflection as it promises a tranquil atmosphere for thinking.
The Hove Cemetery is located on Old Shoreham Road, Hove. The burial ground is large and spans both sections of the A270 trunk road. It has a Victorian Chapel in the southern part of the cemetery where funeral services may be held. For visitors using the sat-nav system in their vehicle, the postcode for Hove Cemetery is BN3 7EF.
The deal to purchase land for what would later become the first area of Hove Cemetery, south of Old Shoreham Road was agreed in 1878. However, work did not begin until late 1879 due to a conflict with the Dyke Railway Company. The Devil’s Dyke branch line made up the eastern boundary of the land, and ownership and other legal aspects had to be resolved with the Aldrington Estate and Hove Commissioners.
Both chapels in the cemetery were designed in the early part of 1880 by E.B Ellice Clark, the Hove Commissioners Surveyor. The Bishop of Chichester approved the design in April of 1880, however, the planned tower was replaced by a spire which was a cheaper alternative. The chapels are paired and connected by a central archway with a thin spire on the top. Both measure 36ft by 18ft and have apsidal ends. The outer flint work conceals the internal walls of the Chelmsford custom-made bricks.
One of the chapels was consecrated for Anglican masses. The building contractor who constructed the chapel was James Longely and Company from Crawley. The contract to build the superintendent’s lodge was awarded to another builder, J. Marshall.
The first person to be buried at Hove Cemetery was Frederick Tooth on 15th January 1882. Frederick was a timbre merchant, a Hove Commissioner and a trustee of Shoreham Habour. Other notable burials include England cricketeer Jack Hobbs, boxer Charley Mitchell, art collector Constantine Ionides and Italian composer Luidi Arditi. Nuns from the Little Sisters for the Poor, whose convent was situated beside the cemetary are buried in a big grave in the Roman Catholic area.
Unique features of Hove Cemetery
One of the distinctive features of Hove Cemetery is its multi-denominational burial sections. There are sections for burials according to religious faith. From Roman Catholic to Anglican, Muslim, non-orthodox Jewish, Baha’I and Coptic Christains. The site is also a rich expanse of trees and shrubs.
Facilities available include public toilets located in the South of Hove Cemetery, close to the East Gate. There are also access areas for the disabled and a hug parking lot for visitors.
Planning a burial
For more information, please contact Brighton Funeral Directors
Call 01273 736469 or 07789 174453